Saturday, November 11, 2006

Andy Luger: Please Run Again!

"We appreciate the sacrifice others are making in the quest to serve, and respect them for it."
-- Andy Luger
As a first-time candidate for public office, I received a lot of advice and guidance from political professionals and people with experience running campaigns. I developed a strategy and worked hard to implement and execute my campaign plan. But there is one thing about running for office I had not anticipated and I think remains a closely held secret: how well most candidates actually get along.

Read the complete article at the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Andy Luger understands that in order to build a better community we must find some common ground to work with our newly elected officials. Andy's words are also encouraging a new generation of candidates to run for office. Andy was the best local candidate I've seen in years and I hope he runs again. -EB

This is what Andy had to say on his web site, which I thought was the best local web site of the 2006 campaign cycle:

Dear Friends,

Thank you for all of your support, encouragement and good wishes over the past 22 months. I have been asked many times since Tuesday night how I feel. While I am disappointed that I will not serve as your Hennepin County Attorney, I am proud to have had the privilege to run for this office and to get to know so many of you personally.

Politics is not easy, and running for office brings great challenges. But you inspired me with your passion, your energy and your commitment to the shared values I talked about in this campaign. Thank you for marching in parades, making phone calls, going to caucuses, contributing money and standing with me through this long race.

This was my first run for office, and, despite the result, I will always cherish this campaign. Throughout this race I was lucky to work with a talented and dedicated campaign team and I received wise counsel from community, labor and business leaders.

Ellen and I are grateful for your support and your friendship.

Kind Regards,

Andy

Andy Luger was a candidate for Hennepin County attorney and a local DFA Link endorsed candidate in 2006.